Smoking rates are declining nationally, but the battle is far from over.
Every day, roughly 1,300 Americans die
from smoking-related illnesses; that’s 480,000 a year.
This isn’t just a national problem –
the health effects of tobacco disproportionately affect Western Pennsylvanians:
The national average of people who smoke is 17%
In Pennsylvania, 19% of residents smoke
In Allegheny County, 21% (more than 1 in 5) people smoke
From November 11-17, 2018
Tobacco Free Allegheny, along with their partners, will be celebrating the
4th annual Allegheny Quits for Life Cessation Awareness Week!
What is Allegheny Quits for Life?
Allegheny Quits for Life is a week-long series of events and communications designed to support residents’ efforts to quit smoking and using tobacco products. Allegheny Quits for Life partners are critical in conveying the message that a smoke-free Allegheny is a healthier Allegheny, and to secure commitments from Allegheny residents to take the first steps toward quitting.
How Can I Get Involved?
This year’s Allegheny Quits for Life Cessation Awareness week has come to a close. Over the course of the week, 34 community partner organizations throughout Allegheny County held a total of 50 awareness events resulting in face-to-face interactions with over 1,500 individuals. Additionally, online and social media content reached over 10,000 people!
Allegheny Quits for Life partners are critical in conveying the message that a smoke-free Allegheny is a healthier Allegheny. We would like to extend a big THANK YOU to our 2018 partner organizations (in no particular order):
- PACT: Pennsylvania Alliance to Control Tobacco
- American Lung Association in PA
- St. Clair Hospital
- Consumer Health Coalition
- Humane Animal Rescue
- Pittsburgh Mercy
- Allegheny County Health Department
- Human Services Center Corporation
- The YMCA of Greater Pittsburgh
- The Pittsburgh Cultural Trust
- Live Well Allegheny
- Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic of UPMC
- TRU: Tobacco Resistance Unit Pennsylvania
- Jefferson Community Collaborative
- Lung & Wellness Centers of Western Pennsylvania
- La Palapa Pittsburgh
- Hilltop Pharmacy
- Allegheny Health Network
- Port Authority of Allegheny County
- Giant Eagle
- Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh
- City Fit
- Proud Haven
- Allies for Health & Wellbeing