Retail managers and associates play a critical role in restricting youth access to tobacco products. The below toolkit is meant to serve as a guide that will help you, and your employees, understand and follow the law.
It is illegal to:
- Sell a tobacco product to a minor.
- Provide a minor with a tobacco product.
- Place a vending machine in a location accessible to a minor.
- Sell cigarettes outside of a pack.
- Locate a tobacco display out of sight of a clerk.
Retailer Regulations and Guidance
This page discusses the Tobacco Control Act and current FDA regulations for the sale of tobacco products.
Retailer Training and Enforcement
Online tools, such as training slides and webinars, to educate and inform. Topics include warning statement requirements, preventing sales to minors, the final deeming rule, regulatory requirements for vape shops, and more.
Guide to Pennsylvania Act 112
This training booklet is recommended for use in all retail locations that sell tobacco. It includes information on how, and when, to ID customers, penalties for underage sale, and a training agreement for employees.
Understanding PA Youth Access Laws
This brochure can be printed and given to employees. It outlines the responsibilities of retailers, as well as the penalties for sale.
The following flyers may be downloaded, printed, or you may order pre-printed copies from the FDA Exchange Lab to display in your store.
- FDA Rules for Smokeless Tobacco Sales
- FDA Rules for Electronic Nicotine Delivery System (ENDS) Sales
- FDA Rules for Hookah and Pipe Tobacco Sales
- FDA Rules for Cigarettes, Cigarette Tobacco, and Roll-Your-Own (RYO) Tobacco Sales
- FDA Rules for Cigar Sales
- This is Our Watch Display Flyer
This is Our Watch
This program, developed by the FDA, helps tobacco retailers better understand FDA tobacco regulations. Retailers are encouraged, but not required, to display This Is Our Watch materials in stores.
Community for Tobacco Retail Educators
This site allows registered users to access materials from the FDA’s This is Our Watch program, share materials with other retailers, view and share events, and discuss topics related to tobacco retailer education.